Friday, November 4, 2011

Why games may always be for kids

So I was pulling up Kotaku at work, like you do, when I found this article that feels like it might change my life: A Fresh Look at the Video Game Time Suck.

Did you read it? Good.

Let me get this rolling with a bit of a confession. Despite my deep, sub-sub-conscious love of video games, I actually haven't played them as much in recent years. I've always blamed it on a combination of not enough time and not enough games that are truly interesting, as the industry slowly stagnates and rehashes many of the same ideas.

But this article suggests that perhaps I'm accepting crybaby game fan rhetoric when something much more fundamental is at play! The article says that people more focused on the future play games less. Holy shit!

I think when you're adult you are forced by the responsibilities of being an adult (washing your bed sheets, buying cans of beans, sitting at desks for 30 hours a day), to focus and plan on what your day is going to be like, and what you're going to accomplish. By having goals and working towards them, you limit your game time subconsciously! What an amazing revelation! This explains why so many responsible adults virtually drop off the game playing spectrum. It's not a matter of maturity (at least, not being too mature for gaming), it's really a matter of responsibility forcing you to be predisposed to not playing games.

I wish the article had a guide on getting into a present focused state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment